We're so happy to welcome one of our all-time favorite WOOFers, Mary Eileen Williams. Welcome to the WOOFers Club Blog, Eileen!
Aside from writing your blog and hosting your radio show, Feisty Side of Fifty, you’ve just written a book for jobseekers over 50. What led you to do this?
I feel so many people have been discouraged by the news—especially older jobseekers. I’ve been a job search specialist for twenty years and wanted to help. So I decided to write a book and disclose several insider tips and techniques that make a huge difference in getting a job.
Hopefully, Land the Job You Love: 10 Surefire Strategies for Jobseekers Over 50 will save people time, money, and lots of frustration.
What’s the #1 factor holding older applicants back?
We buy into the idea that, because we’re older, we’re no longer valuable or desirable in the workforce. Nothing could be further from the truth! We’ve got great experience, highly developed skills, a mature work ethic, and a substantial network of coworkers, clients, and customers. Besides that, a huge percentage of the workforce is over fifty and our ranks are rapidly growing. There’s absolutely no reason we should feel at a disadvantage because of our age.
What are some tips that will help older applicants?
• Market your skills—substantiate them with examples of you performing your work at its best.
• Use your network to your advantage. There are relatively easy ways to network your way into your targeted companies and get yourself in front of key decision makers.
• Present yourself well on paper: often a resume will be the first impression of you. There is a particular style that works best for older applicants in the book. Highlight your accomplishments in such a way they are readily apparent within a 30-second scan—that’s about how long most reviewers spend deciding whether or not they’ll read your resume.
• Know the interview process. Practice frequently asked questions and how to best respond to behavioral style questions. Create your own list of questions to ascertain the needs of the interviewer and the company. Prepare, prepare, prepare—this is showtime!
• Anticipate success: learn the best ways to market yourself and you’ll land a job you will love!
Mary Eileen Williams, M.A., NCC has twenty years’ combined experience as a job search specialist, career/life transition counselor, university instructor, and writer. She also has a popular blog and radio show called, Feisty Side of Fifty.
Buy Land The Job You Love on Amazon!
Hear fabulous interviews on Feisty Side of Fifty - Blog Talk Radio!
For more Women Only Over Fifty thoughts & stories:
Accentuate The Pawsitive!