...where every woman over 50 is TOP DOG!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Nancy Lopez: 50 Women Over 50



My first experience with golf came before I ever held a club. Our local golf course (one of the original founders being my grandfather) had sand greens. In case you're not familiar with the concept, packed sand took the place of grass. At one time, Augusta had sand greens! A small piece of carpet attached to a handle served to smooth the sand back down for the next group after a foursome finished putting. I was about eight. Guess who was the "carpet caddie?"

But, even that relatively thankless job didn't diminish my excitement about golf, so around age 10, I picked up my first clubs. 5 decades later, I'm still playing. Much of my early love for the game has to go to a young golfer who won her first Women's Amateur tournament at age 12, then went on to win the U.S. Junior Girls Championship when she was 15 and 17. Playing in her first U. S. Women's Open as an amateur, NANCY LOPEZ finished tied for 2nd.

Lopez is the only woman to win LPGA Rookie of the Year, Player of the Year, and the Vare Trophy in the same season (1978). She won the 2003 Billie Jean King Contribution Award from the Women's Sports Foundation and is the first woman to receive the Frances Ouimet Award for Lifelong Contributions to Golf.

To read more about the life and career of Nancy Lopez, click on Wikipedia.


***************


For more Women Only Over Fifty thoughts & stories:


WOOF available through Amazon and Echelon Press!


Accentuate The Pawsitive!

No comments: